In order to be admitted as a Chartered Legal Executive lawyer, Graduate members (i.e. members who have completed their academic training) must demonstrate that they have completed a total of three years’ qualifying employment. At least one year of the Qualifying Employment must be accrued in the Graduate Member grade. You must also be in qualifying employment when you apply for Fellowship and have been so for two consecutive years immediately preceding your application.
The CILEx Membership Bye-laws set out the rules relating to qualifying employment. See a full copy of the bye-laws.
CILEx Regulation is the independent regulator of CILEx members and oversees the education, qualification and practice standards of CILEx members. In January 2011 the CILEx Regulation Admissions and Licensing Committee became responsible for considering and determining qualifying employment applications.
Work Based Learning and Qualifying Employment
The Legal Services Board has approved changes proposed by CILEx Regulation to the criteria for assessing the work experience of applicants for admission as a Fellow. The requirements need a minimum of 3 years’ experience and completion of portfolios of evidence which demonstrate that applicants have met work-based learning criteria relevant to Fellowship.
The key changes are as follows:
- A revised definition of qualifying employment.
- A reduction from 5 years qualifying employment, including 2 years in the Graduate Member grade, to 3 years as the minimum period of qualifying employment required, with the most recent year to be served in the Graduate Member grade.
- Your qualifying employment must be consecutive for the 2 years immediately preceding the date of the application.
- You will also demonstrate you have met the work based learning criteria by submitting a logbook and portfolio covering 27 outcomes demonstrating your competence.
- You should register for the scheme before starting to collate your portfolio of evidence.
Please click here
to access the WBL handbook.
The WBL application form is also available here
Please click here
to access the QE form. There is a £75 fee to submit this.
For more information on submitting your application via email, please see here.